Lumenis Launches Its New Moses™ Holmium Technology in the American Urological Association Annual Meeting
Revolutionizing stone fragmentation and stone dusting
May 12, 2017 – Yokne'am, Israel
Lumenis Ltd., the world’s largest energy-based medical device company for surgical, aesthetic and ophthalmic applications, today announced the launch of its new Moses™ Holmium technology during the 112th American Urological Association (AUA) annual meeting in Boston. The AUA launch of Moses follows a successful introduction of the technology during the last European Association of Urologists (EAU) annual congress in London, where hundreds of physicians had a firsthand experience of the Moses technology – stressing its truly innovative nature and potential to revolutionize the world of holmium laser lithotripsy.
Moses is a breakthrough patent pending technology that redefines holmium laser lithotripsy as it exists today. Through a proprietary combination of holmium laser systems and fibers, Moses optimizes laser energy transmission to increase stone ablation volume while reducing dependency on the working distance between the fiber and stone. Further, the unique Moses pulse modulation reduces stone retropulsion and, in-turn, stone migration, leading to a more efficient treatment and greater physician control over the procedure. The Moses tailored premium fiber range of 200, 365, and 550 D/F/L is designed for optimal energy transmission and durability. Additionally, the Moses 200 D/F/L fiber allows surgeons to treat stones in difficult to reach locations, and enables smooth initial fiber insertion through a deflected scope.
The innovative Moses Holmium technology was acknowledged by the AUA’s scientific committee as it was chosen to be presented during the AUA Stone Disease Surgical Therapy podium session. This session will include the pre-clinical study done by Prof. Mostafa Elhilali of McGill University Health Center Department of Urology in Montreal, Canada, who passed away two weeks ago. Prof. Elhilali, who led the pre-clinical and clinical evaluation of the Moses Technology, was a world-renowned urologist, and a longtime partner and friend of Lumenis. His findings will be presented by his research partner, Dr. Sero Andonian of McGill University, who noted: “Prof. Elhilali has made legendary contributions to clinical education, and innovations in surgery and urology at large. I am honored to present our jointly pioneered studies on the Moses technology. Our initial findings showed that Moses is a true breakthrough in holmium laser lithotripsy, providing enhanced physician control and procedural efficiency. I look forward to continuing the research started by Prof. Elhilali, and further understanding the benefits of the Moses Technology”.
Moses is currently being evaluated further by additional leading global experts. Dr. Khurshid Ghani, Assistant Professor of Urology at the University of Michigan, said: “I am very excited to be one of the first physicians worldwide to evaluate the new Moses Technology. In the first few cases I performed I noticed better control of the stone and less dependency on the distance of the fiber from the stone.” Dr. Andrew Symes, Consultant Urological Surgeon, Brighton & Sussex University Hospital NHS Trust, UK, who will present his findings during the AUA annual meeting, said: “The Moses technology provides a greater sense of control due to minimized retropulsion. This is particularly valuable when dusting large stones in the kidney, but also when dealing with upper ureteric stones”.
To celebrate the launch of the breakthrough Moses Holmium Technology, Lumenis has invited six-time NBA Most Valuable Player and six-time NBA champion, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to join the Lumenis booth for the triumphant product release. The NBA’s all-time leading scorer will participate in the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Moses Holmium together with Lumenis CEO, Tzipi Ozer-Armon, who said:
“It is a great privilege to introduce this ground-breaking innovation, the result of decades of Holmium experience and generations of commitment to better technology for better patient care. We are honored to be accompanied by Mr. Abdul-Jabbar, a symbol of longevity and excellence in the game of basketball, and a true example of achievement of the highest level.”
During the AUA Annual meeting, Lumenis will offer a wide range of launch activities, enabling participants to get a first-hand experience of the new technology:
- Moses™ Podium Presentation – Dr. Sero Andonian – Use of Moses Pulse Modulation Technology to Improve Holmium Laser Lithotripsy Outcomes: A preclinical study. Saturday, May 13th 2017, 03:30 PM – 05:30 PM (BCEC, Room 162)
- Moses™ Launch Reception – Have some refreshments and learn about the new technology from leading experts. Sunday, May 14th 2017, 12:30 PM – 01:15 PM (Lumenis booth 2220)
- Tribute session to Prof. Elhilali – A Urology Pioneer – Dr. Sero Andonian. Saturday, May 13th 2017, 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM (Lumenis booth 2220)
In addition, Lumenis will host a variety of booth talks and skills labs:
Saturday, May 13th 2017
- Dr. Steven Maislos – ClearPulse Vaporization & Micro Enucleation (Booth 2220, 01:30 PM – 02:00 PM)
- Dr. Shadie Badaan – Moses technology – A New Era in Laser Lithotripsy (Booth 2220, 03:00 PM – 03:30 PM)
Sunday, May 14th 2017
- Dr. Lori Lerner – Surgical techniques: Three Surgeons, Three Ways (BCEC: Ballroom West, 09:30 AM – 10:00 AM)
- Dr. Andrew Symes, Dr. Steven Maislos, Dr. Mark Leo – Skills lab: Moses Lithotripsy and ClearPulse Vaporization (Exhibit floor, Room #2756, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM)
- Dr. Andrew Symes – Moses Breakthrough Technology (Booth 2220, 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM)
- Dr. Sero Andonian, Dr. Martin Richman, Dr. Ivan Grunberger – Skills lab: Moses Lithotripsy and ClearPulse Vaporization (Exhibit floor, Room #2756, 01:00 PM – 03:00 PM)
- Dr. Andrew Symes – Moses Breakthrough Technology (Booth 2220, 03:00 PM – 03:30 PM)
- Dr. Ehud Gnessin, Dr. Michael Lipkin – Skills lab: Moses Lithotripsy and ClearPulse Enucleation (Exhibit floor, Room #2756, 04:00 PM – 06:00 PM)
Saturday, May 15th 2017
- Dr. Andrew Symes – Moses Breakthrough Technology (Booth 2220, 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM)
Saturday, May 16th 2017
- Dr. Khurshid Ghani – Dusting Utilizing Suction Technique (DUST) for Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: Dedicated Laser Handpiece to Treat a Staghorn Stone (BCEC: room 254, 07:00 AM – 09:00 AM)
Lumenis is the world’s largest energy-based medical device company for surgical, aesthetic and ophthalmic applications in the area of minimally invasive clinical solutions. Regarded as a world-renowned expert in developing and commercializing innovative energy-based technologies, including Laser, Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and Radio-Frequency (RF). For nearly 50 years, Lumenis’ ground-breaking products have redefined medical treatments and have set numerous technological and clinical gold-standards. Lumenis has successfully created solutions for previously untreatable conditions, as well as designed advanced technologies that have revolutionized existing treatment methods.
Kara Stephens, Pascale Communications